Monday, August 2, 2010

New Job and Shark Week YES.

SHARK WEEK starts tonight on the discovery channel, and I'm SO excited lol. 

So I started my new coffee shop job on Saturday.  I have to say that I kinda have mixed feelings about it.  I really love the atmosphere there, and I already really like the customers.  Some of the regulars are already learning my name, and I think it's cute that customers are introducing themselves to me, 'Oh you must be new!  Hi!  It's nice to meet you!'  It's pretty precious.  This is why I love coffee shops though...  you only get to see these customers for 5 minutes a day, but it's a part of their day that they look foward to, so they're always happy to see you.  :)



But yeah, the thing I'm not too crazy about, is my coworkers.  They're not the typical coffee shop crew, or the ones that I've met so far anyway.  I've worked 2 shifts so far, and have worked with this one girl both times.  She has been there for 4 years, and she has told me that she's flat out sick of this job, and that she's going to nursing school and can't wait to leave.  So needless to say, she gets easily irritated with very small things, and this isnt exactly great for me, the new girl.  She's kinda funny though.  Sometimes she'll be irritable, and then she'll snap out of it quicker than I can do a double take, and starts getting all excited about the fact that I do hair, and how she wants me to do her hair, and just can't wait and oh my god.  lol...  I just don't know what to expect with her.  So when she's all being nice and friendly, I milk it for all it's worth!  I start getting excited too, and then bring up other topics that are friendly topics and that I can see she gets happy about.  I'm just gonna have to kill her with kindness til we get used to each other lol.

I really think that it's just gonna be a period of adjustment, which there is in any job of course.  But she is a manager there, and she just has no idea how to manage.  She kinda just became manager because she's the one that's been there the longest, I'm guessing.  So far, she's made 2 mistakes (one during each of my shifts) and has somehow tried to pin it on me, because I guess it's easy to blame things on the new girl that's still learning.  I of course have made several mistakes, and forgotten some things, but I'm already getting better.  I still have yet to make more than just a couple drinks, I've been spending most of my time there learning the register.  This is no easy task ya'll... for real.  I mean, this place is like a full cafe, with breakfast and lunch served all day, and hot drinks, cold drinks, smoothies, blended drinks, italian sodas that we make, and a full bakery.  It's a lot to learn, and there are seperate screens for each one of those categories, and some of the items are misplaced... and it's just a lot to learn, when you have to meander around all these different screens to find what you're looking for, and the customer in front of you is going down their list of 3 sandwiches all prepared differently, and 6 drinks and different too. 

BUT!  Overall, I think that once I actually get into the swing of things, I'm gonna feel a lot better about it all.  It's really fast paced at times, and I love that part of it.  Time flies by, and hey, I get free coffee :)

Oh and guess what else?  She has an artist's paintings hanging on the walls, and she said I can bring in my paintings and hang them up to sell them.  CHYEAHHH!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with the new job! I'm sure you'll get the hang of of quickly. You're a smart girl.

    Hope we can get together soon!

    ReplyDelete

Well aren't you just a sweetheart? Thanks for making my day with a comment!!!