Monday, August 30, 2010

geeeetar. and my dad.

So SquirtyB has been responsible for introducing me to a lot of great music.  The first one I fell in love with was Grace Potter.  And then she told me about Brandi Carlile.  I even had the opportunity to see Brandi with Squirt, but I decided to proceed with a really bad date instead lol (when will i learn??).  Anyway... this new girl I'm talkin to calls Brandi her gf... so I decided it was time to go ahead and listen to her, and download some of her songs, so I'd have something in my car to play when new girl was riding with me.  Well...  yeah I think I'm falling in love with her too.  Brandi, I mean, lol.  I've been saying for years now that I want to learn how to play my guitar (yes... i have a beautiful brand new acoustic guitar, and I got it for my birthday from my dad a few years ago, and I have never learned how to play it, and it's currently sitting in my dad's garage in her hard case, and suddenly she's calling me name).  Listening to Brandi Carlile has really made me want to learn to play, and learn some of her songs.  So I found some of her sheet music, and I'm gonna take it to my dad and start lessons.  My favorite cousin came down recently, and while we were all havin some drinks and playin pool at my dad's house... he got out my dad's guitar and sang a song that he dedicated to me, and then my dad played some and then he played some more...  and all i wanted to do was go over and grab that guitar and sing my own song.  My aunt and uncle also sing and play a bunch of instruments...  it's just in our blood.  I used to play piano...  but guitar just seems so much more my style haha.  Anyway... I'm hopin my dad's up for it, and I think he will be since he recently made a comment about how he doesn't feel like I show him enough love.  I kind of liked hearing this from him, just for the simple fact that he and I are both getting more vocal about wanting to be close with each other.  It's not something that he's said easily before.  So I think this is the perfect way for us to bond... him teaching me one of his passions and hobbies. 

2 comments:

  1. Take the time and learn to play that guitar...even if you never become Brandi, you will love that time you spent with your dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree. And I'm not out to be a Brandi lol... just to find my voice and passion for music again. I used to sing on stage all the time... in school and in church. I miss it.

    ReplyDelete

Well aren't you just a sweetheart? Thanks for making my day with a comment!!!