Friday, August 20, 2010

So much to say!

Ok so I have a new plan that I'm considering working towards.  So maybe it's more of a new idea, but I'm definitely looking into it.

As many of you might know...  I have been living in the same city since I was born.  And you may also know... that I want... OUT!  I have been longing for a change of scenery ever since I can remember.  It's weird to feel like you don't belong where you've always been.  About the only thing I think I'll miss here is the beach... but I could do without that for a chance to see and experience new things, new people, new surroundings... a new life.  I'm just ready to get out of here.

I was talking to an old coworker on the phone the other day.  She and I worked together everyday for 4 years, and we of course became very close.  I have since quit the salon (about 8 months ago) and she has since moved 4 states away after getting married and he got stationed down there.  So our 'catch up' phone calls end up including about every detail of our lives that we've missed since being apart haha.  Well... after 3 minutes of talking... she stopped talking about her latest story and said 'kelly... what's wrong?'  to which I replied... huh?  What are you talking about?  Well... she could hear it in my voice, like only she would be able to.  But she just knows when I'm not at my usual 100%.  And, without me having to even say it.. (or even realize what my underlying tones really mean at the time) she tells me that she thinks I should move already.  She has a cousin who is moving to Richmond (which is about 2 hours away) and that she thinks I should go with her, and be roommates.  Ok so 2 hours away doesn't sound like a big move... but the difference in culture and surroundings would be great.  The gay scene is bigger there (as it is in any bigger city I guess), the art scene is definitely bigger there... just so many more possibilities.

I brushed it off when she first said it... but I've really been thinking about it.  On top of moving, I think I want to get back into a salon.  I have loved doing my own thing (and most importantly, making my own hours and MONEY), but I miss being a part of a salon family.  My life has become lonely.  I go to my clients' homes, do their hair, and then leave by myself.  I have made some new friends and acquaintances by doing this, but nothing like what I had when I was working in the salon.  But I don't want to work in a different salon in this area.  I think I just have a mental block against this place at this point.  I don't want to get into anything that would tie me down here.  I've had 2 clients here offer to even open salons for me... and I've turned them down.  I have my reasons... I don't want to be a part of anything that keeps me here.  So I've been doing some online research about salons there, and been in touch with a couple of them.  I've sent my resume off, and gotten invited to visit a few there. 

I've talked to the cousin that is moving there... but not sure that I'd want to live with her.  I've had a lot of bad roommate situations, and I wouldn't ever want to have a reason to not be ok with her family.  Plus I have no idea how 'okay' she'd be with the gay thing.  I think on the outside she'd be fine with it... but if I start dating someone it could be a different story.  She just seems a little more sheltered... but who knows.  We're gonna have lunch and talk about everything and then I'll have a better idea of if we'd be good roommates. So I might just look for another roommate there... but not sure about that yet. 

Also, I'm thinking that because this city is still somewhat close to home, I could definitely keep some of my clients, just come home a couple times a month to keep up with them, so I could keep that portion of my income until I start making more money there. 

This all might sound like a small change, small move to some of you... but this is huge for me.  I love that city, love the atmosphere there... but I'm still scared.  My reason for being scared is money.  I'm just scared that I won't be able to do it all on my own.  But I think if I have a real goal to work towards, and the idea of being somewhere where I feel more like myself, and around people that i might even have more in common with...  I would work harder to be able to sustain the new lifestyle.  I think my issue is just that I've kinda always had a helping hand from my parents in one way or another, which in turn has left me feeling like I might not be able to do it on my own.  But I can.  I have the passion and the talent to make something of myself.  I know I can do this... and I'm getting really excited about it. It'll be a few months before I move if everythign works out, I want to save up more money before moving away so I have a cushion. 

Sound like a good idea?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Well aren't you just a sweetheart? Thanks for making my day with a comment!!!