I'm actually seriously thinking about writing a book about all of my bad dates. And I have another story to add to the list.
So I've been talking to this woman for about a week. She's 36, a high school theater teacher, and she also directs plays and things of that nature all over the place. She's also working on getting her masters in theater, and wants to be a theater professor at a local college. She also acts in plays and dinner theater too. We were both attracted to each other's artistic creativity while getting to know each other, but it slowly became obvious that she was much more attracted to her own capabilities and achievements than my own, or anyone else's for that matter. Still, she has accomplished so much, so I took it as she's just proud of her life, and wants to share it with me, and maybe she's just a little on the nervous side when getting to know someone, and hopefully she'll calm down with the 'i did this with this famous person, and worked with this famous person, and i've met so and so and me me me and i i i'. I was hopeful. It was interesting to talk to someone who was so passionate about the arts, as I am, so I wanted to give her the benefit of the doubt.
I'm not sure that I'll ever learn to just trust my initial judgements or feelings. I need to.
Anyway, she wants to take me out for drinks, and we decide to meet at a place of my choosing after I'm done with a client around 9. I get there first, get a table, and wait. She comes in and we hug, and sit down, and order drinks. Within 5 minutes of sitting down, she's is texting on her phone. This has got to be one of my biggest pet peeves, and I think it's completely rude and inappropriate on a first date. The rest of the date went something like this: She'd ask me questions about myself or how my day was or things of that nature, and then interrupt me with a new story of her own. She'd tell me to order whatever I wanted for drinks, or appetizers to share, and so I did. I had 3 drinks, and we ordered a plate of potato skins to share. She continues to text off and on, saying that it's people from her dinner theater asking her questions because she's not there, but she had already told me that the dinner theater is over between 830 and 9, and it is after 10 at this point, so right away I know she's lying. She asks me more questions, and then as I'm answering, she starts texting under the table, as if I'm not going to know what she's doing. At one point she even pointed out every piece of clothing that she had chosen to wear that night, and explained in detail how she loves her own personal style. By the time the waiter came over to ask if we were ready for the check, I was over it. He asked if we wanted the check seperate or together, and she said together is fine. Well the check comes, and he sets it on the table between us, where it sits for at least another 5 minutes. I'm totally confused the whole time, and wondering why she's not picking it up, and trying to not make eye contact with it. After a while, she looks down at it, and says 'ok well I only have cash... and it's $49.54!' I just look at her, without any idea of how I'm supposed to respond, so I say, 'ok do you want me to help with the bill? All I have is a card...' and she says 'Well I guess you're gonna have to just put it on your card then.' Really? I mean really. I put my card down, and she tosses a $10 bill at me. When he brings the card and receipt back, she says that she'll get the tip, and folds up some money and puts it on the tray. I would have never asked this if she had been paying for it, but since I was paying, I asked her how much did she leave. She said $7. I said... 'ummm what? The bill was $50, and you're leaving him $7???' She said 'sorry, my math is horrible, is that not good enough?' I was appalled. I said ok well I'm gonna leave more for him, and she said no no, and threw down another 3 dollars. I still wanted to leave more, the guy was an absolute cutie, was very friendly and gave us excellent service. I just couldn't believe how cheap she was.
I mean, really??????
I would have then asked for separate checks!
ReplyDeletehaha yeah... looking back... i would have done a few things differently... but i was just a little in shock haha.
ReplyDeleteI'm filled with rage, all of a sudden. Forget asking for separate checks, I'm surprised you didn't walk out! Or throw something. How rude. And texting like that is also a complete irritation - it's ok if it's someone you know well or see often, but not on a date.
ReplyDeleteRage.