Yayyyyy it's bloggerstock day!!! If you havent heard of bloggerstock, go take a look and sign up for next month's list. It's basically a big blog swap, all writing about our version of a topic. Whoop!
And now, without further adooo... I present:
Hi there, I'm Jennifer Z from Fickle Kitsch, and I'm appearing here today for Bloggerstock, a great guest-blogging program!
Bloggerstock asked us to tell ghost stories, but I've never seen a ghost. To be honest, that's probably a good thing. For most of my life, I've been a giant wimp. When I was around seven or eight, I decided that I wanted go into the Haunted Barn at the apple orchard my family always went to. My dad knew this was a terrible idea, since I'd previously proven myself too delicate to watch Casper the Friendly Ghost, but I insisted. We waited in line for a good hour, and finally entered the silo. There was a big window that I happily scurried up to and pressed my nose against. There was water about up to my chest and long murky vines, a swamp.
"You might want to step back, honey," my dad said. He knew what was coming even if I didn't. I peered into the water, thinking This isn't so scary! And then a swamp monster burst from under the water, I screamed, and had to be carried sobbing out of the barn with my face buried in my dad's neck.
Obviously, I felt it would be best to avoid the a scarier parts of the holiday. I never watched scary movies, and when I volunteered at a haunted house in high school, I worked concessions (although that was pretty horrifying itself--the Monster Mash over and over again for five hours). I love Halloween because it's the only day of the year that everyone else seems to understand how awesome dressing up is. I'm all about dressing up and inappropriately elaborate costumes. Luckily, I find friends with the same kind of burning desire to look ridiculous in public.
I guess the point of the story is that Halloween is awesome. And even though it turns out I'm not scared of scary movies anymore (as long as there are people more scared than me that I can laugh at), I would still rather spend my afternoon taking a few hundred photos of me and my roommates locking each other up and staging elaborate fight scenes around campus (we were Poison Ivy, Harley Quinn, Batgirl, and Supergirl, for inquiring minds). You have to make the holidays work for you, in whatever way you have to.
If you care less about touching Halloween sentiments, and more about clothes, you're my kind of person! It's a bit late to give advice about picking costumes, but never forget how much awesome stuff you have in your own house. There are props, costumes, and accessories aplenty that can be found lying on the floor of your closet or in the back of a drawer. It's always fun to spend money on the things that would really make the outfit, and be creative with the rest. (in my own example, I cut up a dress I already owned to make my Poison Ivy costume, plus glove and boot accessories. The only thing I needed to buy were lime green tights).
Have a safe and happy Halloween!
----------------------------------------------------------------------
>>Also, be sure to check out where I posted today, over at Cerebral Lunchbox, and read about my spooky story. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Well aren't you just a sweetheart? Thanks for making my day with a comment!!!