Sunday, October 3, 2010

Bitch-face. New job.

So I finally quit the dreadful coffee shop. I'm not even sure if I've talked much about how ridiculous that place was on here very much... but here's a quickie catch up.

The owner is filipino. She has lived here for most of her life, yet I still can't understand most of what comes out of her mouth. Now I'm all for different cultures finding a home here, but when you're trying to boss me around, it'd be best if I can understand you.  And when you're yelling at me in front of customers because I'm doing something wrong because you didn't teach me how in the first place, please use proper english.  Great, thanks.

And then...  all of my paychecks were under, except for one.  That's one, out of 5, and they were under by at least $50.  All of the other girls that worked there had the same issue, which just led me to think... why in the hell are you still working here you idiots??  When we tried to talk to the dragon-lady-boss, she told us that we must not be clocking in and out correctly, and that it's our fault.  Next, she had hired me to work during the day, since I do my hair clients at night.  I had a great schedule for the first week, and then after that she started giving me all night shifts.  Like seriously, every single one.  I'd get an opening shift like once a week.  So I'd have to dispute my schedule with her on a weekly basis.  Oh and our schedule was from Sunday through Saturday, and she wouldn't make the schedule for the following week until Saturday night.  That works out really well when I have to make appts for my clients, and she keeps messing up my schedule.  After all of the disputing, her 'fix it' was then only scheduling me for 9 hours a week.  Ok, now... what is the fucking point? 

So this past week, I had asked her the week before to let me know what my schedule would be as soon as she could because I had to get back to like 4 different clients about scheduling their appts.  I texted her that on friday, and she didn't get back to me until the following Monday (of last week).  Well by then, I was over it and my clients were blowin up my phone, so I had to just go ahead and schedule them.  I mean they are more important anyway.  So when she finally gets back to me, it's too late.  I text her a couple days later that I'm gonna have to leave the coffee shop, and she then goes off on me and tries to give me like 8 guilt trips.  Says that I'm totally screwing her over.  And her texts were all in completely broken english, which just irritated me more.  I jsut had to shake my head, I never did respond.

So I'm done there.  Well, the same day that this all went down, I got a call from my girl at the temp agency where I had applied a bit before I started at the coffee shop, asking me if I was interested in working on an assignment for them.  I said... UMMMM YEAH!  Perfect timing :).  So she set me up with a short term job, it's only 2 weeks, but it's paying $10 an hour, so it'll be a nice little chunk of monayyy.  I'm working for the American Heart Association (have been now for 2 days starting last week on Thursday) helping them raise money for a fundraiser walk that they have coming up.  I'm basically just making warm calls all day to people that have already signed up to help, and asking them if they'd be willing to ask their contacts for help or donations through an email that I jsut fwd to them.  Easiest job, and everyone there is sooooo nice.  And I feel like I'm working for a good cause, so that makes me feel great :).  So anyway, on my second day there, my boss Julie came up behind me and gave me a hug and told me that I'm doing such a great job and that she wishes she could keep me!  Unfortunately they don't have an opening for a fulltimer there, but that they do have an office in Richmond (where I'm moving in a couple months) that always has openings and she'd love to refer me there.  She's actually from there so we'd been talking about my move.  So I'm thinking that might actually be a good idea.  That way I could do the same thing I've been doing here.  I'd have to work on building a clientel, so making money in a salon right from the start would be slow.  So if I had a steady reasonable income to start with in an office, I could work on getting a clientel at home at night, and then maybe I'd go into a salon later with a clientel. I think this sounds like a great idea, and I really like the idea of working for a non profit organization too.  I'm really good at marketing and fundraising, and getting people involved in things, so this could be great.  We'll see what happens, but I'm getting more excited about moving with this idea.  I've been scared that i'd be struggling financially for a long time after I move there, but this could be my way around that.  yay!

3 comments:

  1. It's so sad this lady had to treat people like that..I'm a Filipino, I totally don't know her but it makes me sad that she had to bitch people around..

    I'm glad things work okay now.=)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a crappy job like that one time...where they were always trying to rip you off. I didn't stay long either. But I guess it all worked out with the new job and you still can take care of your clients.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm no miss and Mel-yeah it was pretty dreadful. I found out from other business owners that she was known for treating her employees so poorly, but of course that was after I had accepted the job haha. We'd even have customers ask us how we were doing when she wasn't around. It's sad cuz it's such a cute little coffee shop, but she's just running it into the ground.

    ReplyDelete

Well aren't you just a sweetheart? Thanks for making my day with a comment!!!