Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Happy Thoughts, Send them our way!

I'm a hairstylist, and I love my job.  I get to meet people from all walks of life that I would normally never get to have a conversation with, but as their trusted stylist, they confide in me sometimes things that they wouldn't tell their closest friends.  I love building these bonds with people, and I feel very lucky for that. 

Sandra has been a client of mine for about 2 years.  We've become close and even spent some time together outside of work.  She's in her mid 30s, owns a restaurant, runs a preschool, parties like a rock star, and in her 'spare time' (when???) she's put together this amazing fundraising association for people that have cancer in the area.  She's held a number of fundraisers, and the money they raise goes to families that are struggling because a family member has cancer.  She's only been doing this for about a year, but already she's helped so many.  I donated a few paintings to be auctioned off at a number of her benefits.  Her smile is completely addicting, she goes a mile a minute, and she's broken a number of ladies' hearts in the area.  She just can't be tied down!! I love her to pieces. 

Shae, Sandra's nephew, has been in the hospital for about a week now.  He's only 22 years old, and they've found a big tumor that's somehow wrapped itself around his lungs.  The tumor got so big before they even found it, that once they found it, they had to operate immediately.  Because it's wrapped around his lungs, they can't fully remove it, and because it's so big, they had to basically keep him 'open' for 5 days while the swelling went down, so that it wouldn't collapse his lungs.  They've just closed him back up yesterday, but it's still so big that he's under heavy sedation and on a ventilator.  Today, I hear that he's not doing too well, and they doctors are saying that it's going to take a miracle. 

I've met Shae quite a few times at the restaurant, serving me one too many drinks from the bar for the fundraisers haha.  He's gorgeous, hilarious, and you instintly feel like you've known him for years after talking to him for 5 minutes.  We're all pulling for him.  Please send your happy thoughts and prayers our way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Well aren't you just a sweetheart? Thanks for making my day with a comment!!!