So after reading Tanya's post at Learning to Live as Love, it got me thinking about how I really don't have that many lesbian friends. And the more I thought about it, the more I realized how much I would really like to change that. Most of my friends are straight, and I love them, but it really is different when you have a friend who is the same sexuality as you are. I'm not ungrateful for the friends I do have, but still, it's just different.
I have had reservations about trying to make friends within the lesbian community around here. Of course, the obvious place that you think of to meet lesbians is the local lesbian bars. I haven't had the greatest experiences there. I've been to two different bars, two times each, and I just never really felt comfortable there. I've always been shy, must worse when I was younger, but still shy now none the less, and I don't talk to strangers very easily. Mostly all of the ladies there seemed to already know each other, and it seemed to be a lot of drama going around... I don't know, I just didn't feel like I fit in. I've never really been a bar person, and since I don't have that many lesbian friends, I don't have anyone to go with... etc. Plus I have absolutely no game lol... I'm too shy for that. Yes of course alcohol helps with feeling like you have game, but still. I'm just shy I guess. The whole scene just felt too intimidating to me.
So I remembered a long time ago someone mentioning meetup.com, so i decided to go on there and look up local lesbian groups. I found a huge one, over 500 members that are all in the area, and they do a lot of social gatherings. I looked through their pictures from past meet ups and they just all look really nice. So I signed up! I'm nervous about it, but I'm just make myself go and keep a smile on my face.
I'm just really in the mood to LIVE lately. I want to broaden my horizons as much as I can. I feel like I'm just missing out on so much just because I've let myself keep up these barriers. Not really barriers, as much as... well I don't even know what I'm trying to get at here. But since I'm a hairstylist, it has forced me to have to talk with strangers one on one all the time, when I'm with clients. So that has definitely helped me get over some of my scaredycat-shyness issues. But yeah. I just want to meet new people and learn new things and experience things that I was always too scared to do before (yes I'm still talking about how I was scared to talk to strangers haha). Anyway, I'm excited about trying something new, and maybe making some new friends. Has anyone ever tried the meetup.com things in their area? What are your thoughts?
Never tried that, but it sounds like a good idea. Can't be any worse than any of the other experiences you've had!
ReplyDeleteLol shut up squirty.
ReplyDeleteI've never tried anything like that either but wish you good luck.
ReplyDeleteI think I like the blog world so much since I could read about the lives of other lesbians and it makes me feel like we're not so alone.